How to convert RoamResearch into a desktop application
June 09, 2020
RoamResearch is a note-taking app that allow you to write as you think. You could consider it as a second brain where you store your knowledge creating connections between your notes.
In this short and practical post we are going to see how to make RoamResearch a desktop application.
Why convert RoamResearch into a desktop application?
Sometimes we have more tabs in the browser that distracts us from writing. The main goal of convert RoamResearch into a desktop application is: focus on writing, but not only..
One of the next features that the team will be develop is: offline. You could write your notes and save locally on your computer. A desktop application is perfect for this use case .
Create the application
To do this we have to install nativefier. Nativefier is a command-line tool that use Electron to wrap the specified site and create a desktop application for your system. The tool create a wrapper of RoamResearch that load the site as a desktop application.
- Open your terminal and run this command that install globally the package:
npm install -g nativefier
You mast have to install Node >= 8 previously
- When the installation is finished, in your terminal launch this command:
- Wait a minute and you will see a new folder in the working directory, containing the application.
- Open the folder then open the app
- Login with username and password
- Boom, now you have RoamResearch as a desktop application!
Did you like this article? Share it on twitter
A blog of three Indie Hackers that combine Development and Marketing to help people crafting ideas You should follow us on Twitter